Wednesday, January 25, 2006

And thank you for my guns

So I haven't had a voice for the past couple of days. I got a cold over the weekend that left me without a voice. Being mama (of 2 boys!) isn't that easy without a voice. Yesterday morning started out as most mornings do in the Maddry household. At 8 am Caleb's alarm clock went off and he came in to "wake" me up (even though most of the time I've been awake reading my bible.) When he realized that I had no voice and was whispering - he started whispering too! I was hopeful! Maybe this would be a quiet day in our household. He kept whispering until Luke Bear woke up 30 min. later. Once he saw his brother he yelled, "Good morning." And from there it was full speed ahead!

Breakfast wasn't too bad because they can't touch each other. Once the silliness of breakfast was over it was on to what they do best. Hard play. They put all the couch pillows on the floor and started jumping (Caleb) and falling (Luke) off the couch. It was all fun and games until...Luke Bear hit his head on the coffee table. After I put an end to that game and sent them downstairs to their play room, they started wrestling over a ball. I knew how this would end up. Like it always does...with someone needing Boo-Boo Buddy. Sure enough Luke hurt Caleb while climbing on him (little brother tends to hurt big brother more often that not). So then I sent them upstairs to play in Caleb's room. After folding some laundry I went up to check on them (I heard hysterical laughter and knew that was a bad sign) only to find them running down the hall and into one another. I started clapping my hands to get their attention and Luke thought it was so great that I was clapping for them he started clapping along too.

So I sent Luke to room time, let Caleb watch PBS and jumped on the treadmill. After I was done it was time to run errands. The second we pull out of the driveway Caleb is thirsty and hungry. We got gas, dropped off our VERY overdue movies to Blockbuster, then headed for the library - the place I've been avoiding for a week. I had 2 books that were almost a month over due (I thought I had turned them in until I found them on Caleb's bookshelf) and Caleb had completely destroyed one book beyond repair. Those Librarians aren't the nicest so I was fearful of their wrath (towards me not Caleb). I had whispered to Caleb all morning long that he was going to hold the book and tell the librarian what he had done and that he would never do it again. Of course the one time that I need a mean librarian I get one that tells Caleb how cute he is and that he is sure he Caleb didn't mean to tear the book, and ended with "it's okay buddy accidents happen". Not exactly the scolding I was hoping for.

Finally we get home to have lunch. By now we are all hungry and the boys are running WILD! After much signing (that was getting ignored) I was able to get the kids to the table for lunch. I whispered to Caleb if he would pray for us. He says, "Thank you for my mom-mom and my daddy and Luke Bear. Thank you for the library and playing with Luke Bear. Thank you for yummy food. Thank you that Jesus died on cross so that I can go to heaven. And thank you for my guns. Amen."

I love my boys!

No comments: