Thursday, March 23, 2006

Crisis in Darfur

"Darfur, a region in western Sudan, is home to what has been called the world’s worst humanitarian crisis. Government-backed Arab militias, known as the Janjaweed, have killed more than 200,000 of the region’s black villagers according to recent reports. The same forces have destroyed villages and crops and poisoned water supplies, and they continue to murder and terrorize. At least 4 million people are hungry or starving, and another 1.2 million, including 400,000 to 500,000 children, have become refugees.President Bush and Congress have recognized the problem and labeled it 'genocide.'"
Excerpt taken from http://www.samaritanspurse.org/SudanCrisis.asp

Ugh! I feel so helpless when I read about the crisis in Sudan. It's so hard for me to think of these children walking for days as refugees to a place that they will call "home" for an indefinite amount of time. Ripped from their moms, dads, brothers & sisters - everything they know and love. So much more pain than I can bear to even imagine, much less go through. Lord, remind me that you love them more than I can imagine loving someone. You know and feel their hurt and pain. Lord comfort them. I don't even know what else to pray for them. My words are few and aren't enough. But you are my God. You are...

No comments: