Tuesday, July 04, 2006

A beautiful Puritan Prayer

(I read this and thought it was amazing)

O God whose will conquers all,
There is no comfort in anything
apart from enjoying thee
and being engaged in thy sevice;
Thou are all in all, and all enjoyments are what to me
thou makest them, and no more.
I am well pleased with thy will, whatever it is,
or should be in all respects,
And if thou bidst me decide for myself in any affair
I would choose to refer all to thee,
for thou are infinitely wise and cannot do amiss,
as I am in danger of doing.
I rejoice to think that all things are at thy disposal,
and it delights me to leave them there...
I can myself do nothing to glorify thy blessed name,
but I can through grace cheerfully surrender soul
and body to thee.

-From The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotion