Sunday, January 20, 2008

I need a clone

I don't eat meat. Red meat specifically. Until a couple of years ago I didn't eat pork either, but have added boneless pork into my diet and do just fine until the boys start discussing where pork comes from at the table. Then I don't eat pork either.

Case in point: A couple of nights ago I made some Honey Pork Chops and my children didn't like them. Caleb kept saying, "I don't like this chicken." Joseph kept responding to him that it wasn't chicken, it was pork. To which Caleb says, "Where does pork come from?" When he heard that it came from a pig, there were some "oinking" noises, talk about rolling in mud and suddenly I lost my appetite. I could eat anymore. I was hungry and mad. I couldn't figure out why we had to keep discussing our dinner. I am now banning animal noises at the dinner table. (Dinner is nuts around here and one day I may blog it so that you can really feel my pain!)

I also don't like meat that is still attached to the bone. And heaven forbid that it have any gross fat, red or vein-y junk in it. That puts me over the edge.

All of this started well over 10 years ago while I was in high school. I thought it was cool to not eat meat, gave it a try and have had a hard time going back. I remember the last burger I had. It was the summer before my junior year in high school, was a Whopper with cheese and I was wearing green shorts with a multi-color striped shirt. I kid you not. And Lovey says I have a bad memory! I haven't had a burger since. I would NEVER order a steak. Never.

A couple of years ago, my amazing friend Michele, made this flank steak that I ate. It was amazing. I kept telling myself that it was the best chicken I have ever had. And it was! That was the last time I ate anything like that. Occasionally I will order a taco from Taco Bell. I'm not really sure what the heck that is...? And as long as I don't think about it I'm in good shape.

I worked for a summer in the middle of the mountains where they ate red meat at almost every meal. I lived off cheese sandwiches and pbj.

I do eat chicken. I don't eat cloned meat. Yes, I said cloned meat. The FDA says that it is okay to eat, but I won't eat cloned meat. So I may become vegan. Or worse...organic! I've read that organic may be the new term for "cloned free"! I never thought I would say this but the Mads may be going organic!

It's the thing to do. I have lots of friends that are organic wannabes, but only know of a few people that I would seriously term organic. My friend Sarah is seriously organic. She wouldn't buy anything made in a jar, that comes from a big store and has ingredients that she couldn't pronounce. Right Sarah? Then I have other friends that say their organic, but still eat at chain restaurants that use processed food. If Sarah is my bar for organic, these others don't come close.

I admire Sarah. She has serious beliefs. That she has had since the day I met her almost 10 years ago. I may not always agree with her, but I completely admire her for living what she believes.

And as Joseph would say, I have derailed. Bottom line, I am not organic. At all. And I do not eat cloned meat. At all. So I may become organic after all.

No comments: