Monday, January 28, 2008

Voodoo medicine that works!

Last night was rough. While the boys are much better, they both have this lingering cough that is terrible. They weren't feeling the greatest yesterday because they were up most of the night coughing. The lack of sleep left them quite grouchy, tired and miserable yesterday. Because I have an amazing husband, he let me go to church, and a women's fellowship afterwards, while he stayed here to take care of the 4 sick patients.

I don't usually like to give the kids medicine, but the exceptions are when they are teething, running fever or coughing (and it has to be at night to get cough meds). Well since they have been running fever and coughing, they have been getting a lot of meds. They actually went through whole bottles of Tylenol, Motrin and Mucinex over the past week. Poor little guys.

Well I was hoping that they would get more rest last night, but at 2am I knew that if we didn't stop their coughing it would be another hard day and this time Lovey wouldn't be home to save me from the "drama kings". Since the Mucinex wasn't really working, I decided to use a technique that was told to me by our old Portuguese neighbor years ago. We tried it once before with Caleb and it worked like a charm, but I had since forgotten about it. You rub vapor rub at the bottom of their feet and then put socks on them. I know, I know - Joseph rolled his eyes and called it voodoo medicine, but it really works!! I did it to both of them at 2am and didn't hear any coughing for the rest of the night!!

I wish that I could report the night ended with me getting the many hours of beauty sleep that I desperately need, but alas I cannot report that. A certain little 3 year old had the kahunas to come in at 2:45 and ask for a snack!!! What? Has all that medicine made him lose his mind?! Has that child forgotten the kind of mother he has?

Let me be blunt for a moment if I may: I cannot handle children being up in the night. There are these amazingly, patient mothers who are up all night with their children rocking them, holding them and whispering sweet nothings to them - most of the night, every night. I AM NOT ONE OF THEM! I love to sleep and desperately need it. With that said, when a child is sick I have no problem loving on them, holding them and caring for them in the night.

But if you want a snack - you are nuts to ask me at 2:45 in the morning!! Insane. I marched that child back to his room, tucked him in and told him I had better not hear another word out of him. He knew I meant business!

Luke is something else. Caleb would have never had the guts to do that. Luke on the other hand has no fear (healthy or otherwise) of me. He has always been my child that is up at night. When he was younger he would be up for hours singing, laughing and playing in his crib. We used to have to move his crib to the middle of the room, every night, because he would kick the walls (he still does that occasionally). He wouldn't cry and apparently didn't need an audience since he was entertaining himself, which was a good thing because I don't think he would have made it to 3 if I was up all night with him.

I will blame Luke's moment of insanity on hallucinations from the medications. And there will be no medicine tonight in hopes that there will be no more hallucinations!

No comments: