Monday, September 01, 2008

A walk down Labor Lane on Labor Day

Rocks in my Dryer is having a little Labor Day fun and I thought it would be fun to participate.


How long were your labors?

Kid #1, 14 long, terrible hours.
Kid #2, 7 hours.
Kid #3 & #4, maybe 8 hours...I actually don't remember - it's all a blur.


How did you know you were in labor?

Kid #1, I was induced at 7 am with Pitocin. I swear, 10 minutes after you have had Pitocin the contractions come hot and heavy. Very hot and heavy. You know you're in labor.
Kid #2, I labored at home for 5 hours with some serious contractions. Once the contractions came 5 minutes apart I woke Love and we went in.
Kid #3 & 4, The pitocin once again reared it's ugly head after I had THE most painful maneuver ever done to a woman prego with twins!

Where did you deliver?

They are all hospital babies. I'm that kinda girl.

Drugs?

Yes, please. Seriously, I'm that kinda girl.

C-section?

Hallelujah, praise the Lord - NO!!! Baby 3 (Lily) wanted me to have one. Really bad. So did Baby 4 (Ella) for that matter. So I had an "external cephalic version"...TWICE!! It is seriously the most painful thing that I have ever had done to me. I was that desperate to not have a C-section. It took 1 doctor, 2 nurses and Lovey to hold me down while my OB did the version. Lily turned. Then turned back a couple of hours later. So they did it all over again a week later. (Did I mention I was desperate not to have a C-section?) Lily turned again, and this time they had me sit on a ball for 45 min while administering (that dreaded drug) pitocin! Lily was born head first, Ella came out feet first. NO C-section!

Who delivered?

Doctors, and that's the way it should be!
With Babies 3 & 4, Joseph wanted to deliver them. I didn't love that idea so much. I wanted him to be dad, not doctor. He was good with that.

Let me know if you decide to play along because I would love to read your stories!

3 comments:

Stacy said...

I hear you on the version! I had to have it done with Carter, and I think it might have been more painful than labor!

Elizabeth said...

You are a brave girl! I'm with you on avoiding the c-section, but I have heard that what you had done hurts very badly. You are so tough, and the only mom of twins that I know who had them without a c-section. I'm impressed, supermom:)

Anonymous said...

I'm THAT kinda girl too. I never even almost planned to go drug free. :o) Blessings! ~Whitney