Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Mad Budget

I went to the grocery store today and spent $200. There were only 15 things on my list. And they didn't cost $10 each.

I have no idea how in the world I always spend $200. It doesn't matter if there are 15 or 50 things on my list or if I am cooking for 3 or 6 people - I still spend $200! So frustrating. The most frustrating part is that my budget is only $150, so I continually go over budget. Every month.

So, I call my loving husband to complain discuss the situation. He had NO interest in my mini-drama. In his opinion, food is an essential, we need it, it doesn't matter how much it cost...we need it so buy it and get over it. "Find something else to be dramatic about," was his thought. Well, since he wasn't going to feed my drama, I did what I always do. Called a friend. They always humor me and listen to my melodrama's about nothing.

As I was discussing the situation with my friend, I realized something that made us laugh. $150 has been my grocery budget for the past 6 years! Before the thought of 4 kids entered our minds. Before the price of milk was $4.00 a gallon. Before we started medical school. Before I was trying to eat healthier. Did I mention before we had 4 more mouths to feed?!? And then as I began to go through the budget in my head I laughed when I realized that all the categories in our budget are the same as they were 6 years ago.

LOTS has changed in 6 years, maybe our budget should too!

No comments: