Tuesday, October 16, 2007

More talk about homeschooling

Back when I had absolutely NO desire to homeschool and could never have imagined myself even consider in the idea, I told one of my most favorite people in the world, Michele, that I was praying that God would never change my heart about homeschooling. (That speaks volumes about my personality. Who prays for God to not change their heart?!) Well, I now imagine God upstairs chuckling at me as I now contemplate homeschooling.

Joseph and I took the kids to the pumpkin patch on Monday (pictures soon to come) and there was a homeschool group there. I talked to a couple of moms to get their perspective on their adventures in homeschooling. I am asking lots of questions these days in an attempt to find answers for our family.

When I think about why I would want to homeschool the kids, I also keep asking myself why I don't want to do it. I don't want to homeschool and have these sheltered kids, who have no social skills, go wild when they finally leave our house and -drum roll please- WEAR DENIM!! I do, however, want to lay a foundation for them that is rooted in an understanding of God. And that foundation isn't solid yet. I haven't had enough time with him for it to be!

So I came up with an analogy.

If a runner had never run more than a couple of miles, you wouldn't send them to run a marathon without having them train for it first. If you did you would set them up for injury, disappointment or failure.. I'm not sure if Caleb is ready to run his marathon. And I'm very unwilling to risk him getting injured or setting him up for failure.

Sometimes it sounds like I've already made up my mind doesn't it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sabrina, I'm in the same boat. I go back and forth all the time. We're having a great year of homeschooling pre-K, though, so I'm thinking it's a good choice for us.
I love how diversified homeschooling families are - some take it to either extreme and there are plenty of us middle-grounders, if you know what I mean.
I like the denim comment but officially for the record I have no comment on that :)