Thursday, April 03, 2008

Color me Crazy!

So I was at my neighbors house the other day and she was asking me all these questions about Joseph and I. She began the questions with, "I can't imagine you and Joseph dating. What was that like? And how did he propose? And how did you end up together in the first place?"

You see, she finds my husband to be an enigma of sorts. She can't quite figure him out. Most people can't. And she can't quite figure out how we ended up together because we are SO different. I have told you before, but please allow me to reiterate:
  • He has never met a rule that he didn't love. Loves them. He's Mister Rule follower, safety first, the-law-was-put-there-for-a-reason-and-even-though-I-don't-know-the-reason-I-must-obey. I have met very few rules that, I thought, should not be broken.
  • I hate silence. _____(pause)______ Okay, yeah, that drives me crazy. I especially hate awkward silence. The Love thinks silence really is golden. Poor man doesn't get much gold living with me!
  • Back to the whole safety first/ loves rules thing, Joseph slows down if he anticipates that a light will turn yellow. Yellow, not red! I have the pedal to the metal hoping that I don't have to make any yellow light decisions. Oh, and Joseph never speeds. I'm always in a hurry.
  • When I hang a picture in my house, I grab a hammer and nail, take a look around, eyeball the distance and put a hole in the wall. Joseph grabs a leveler, does some mathematical equations, checks earth's gravitational pull, finds a pencil, makes a mark and puts a hole in the wall.
  • I have a flair for drama. Joseph thinks drama should be kept on a stage.
  • Joseph is an eternal optimist and looks for the best in everyone. He always has a full glass, given to him by a good person. My glass is not only empty, I am looking for the person that drank that last drop.
  • Joseph likes to consider himself like a waffle. Compartmentalized, coherent, methodical, systematic, orderly - when he speaks/thinks it is done methodically and with intent. He considers me to be spaghetti - there is no beginning or end in my thoughts, they are all jumbled together and it takes a long time for him to sort out what I am talking about.

Yeah, I could give you about 100 pages worth on how different Love and I are, but I won't. (There is another one! Joseph gets to the point and I, on the other hand, take the long route.) And there have been more than a few people that have wondered how we ended up together. But here is the secret about us. Joseph cracks me up! (I told this to my neighbor and she skeptically said, "Does he mean to be funny?" That made me laugh!) But he really can be quite funny and makes me laugh. Never mind that it is usually because he is making fun of me...

In any case, I am thankful that my man and I did end up together and even that we are so different. It spices things up a bit. Lovey didn't have a lot of spice in his life before me and now he's got more than he knows what to do with! He's sweet. He always says, "Before I met you my life was so black and white. You add the color." This is the point where we all say, "Awwwwwwwww!"

No comments: